Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Hashbrown Casserole, Vegan Gluten Free

Oh yeah this is happening! A vegan hashbrown casserole, something that many people are familiar with at Christmas time or on Mothers and Fathers Day. Devon's mom make this every Christmas morning and it is something I really missed eating. So about a month (I think right after Christmas) I had this idea about making a vegan version but I haven't had time to make a big breakfast. But today was the day to make some magic and Devon and I were super excited. 

I woke up this morning and started to make the Mushroom soup, not your typical breakfast food but it is definitely necessary for this dish. This is something you could make the night before if you have limited time to make breakfast in the morning. It doesn't take too long but its a step you can do before hand.

If you have followed my blog for a while you might recognize this recipe from my vegan poutine recipe (found here). I have altered it slightly to make it a soup instead of a sauce, and the final product turned out amazing. I gave a spoonful to Devon to try and he LOVED it. He came into the kitchen to help me mix the casserole together and when I turned around I saw him eating it out of the blender with a spoon, with a slight guilty look on his face. When ever I make something he likes he automatically says "Do you remember how you made this?" Thats how I know he really liked it because he wants to make sure I can make it again for him. Luckily I did remember and wrote it down! I am for sure going to make this again for lunch one day, probably paired with grilled cheese sandwiches! 



I was also able to share some of this with my sisters, Ashley and Chelsea. I shot them a text after it was done and extended an invitation to them to stop by and try it. Of course they showed up and gave their verdict on what they thought of my newest creation. No surprise, they also loved it, going back to eat out of the pan until it was almost all gone (they left us 3 bites left, thanks guys!) I am always happy to share my food with people, it makes me feel good knowing that other people enjoy my cooking just as much as I enjoy cooking it. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as we did, its something everyone can enjoy, even if you aren't vegan. 



Vegan Mushroom Soup - 2 cups
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, minced
1 small pkg of white mushrooms, minced
1 tbsp of Better than Bouillon, vegetable broth
1 cup water
3 tbsp of coconut milk
1/3 cup quinoa flour, or any other gluten free flour
1 cup water

In a small sauce pan saute the onions and garlic until brown, add mushrooms and saute until soft. Mix the bouillon and water until dissolved and then add to the mushrooms, cook for 5 minutes, then add the coconut milk. Gradually alternate between the flour and water and stir until there are no clumps. Once done pour into a blender and blend until smooth. This should make about 2 cups of mushroom soup.


Hashbrown Casserole
8 cups of frozen hash browns
1 pkg shredded Daiya Cheese, cheddar flavoured
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups of mushroom soup

Grease a glass pan and pre heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl put hashbrowns, 1 cup of the Daiya, onion and 1 cup of the soup and mix until well blended. Pour into the glass pan and level it off with the back of the spoon. Top the casserole with the rest of the soup and the Daiya. Cover with tin foil and bake for 45 min, then bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes and serve!

Thanks for reading!!!
xoxo -N



1 comment:

  1. oh my, your own mushroom soup recipe to, you are amazing. Gotta make this one to.

    ReplyDelete