Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Vegan, Gluten Free Poutine :)

I have always been a HUGE fan of poutine. It was one of my staples when I was going to the UofS, and Exeter had the best poutine! I would frequently get it for lunch, so naturally Freshmen Fifteen caught up to me. It wasn't all poutines fault of course, there might have been some drinking involved along with trips to Wing Nuts, Verns Pizza and DQ. Poutine just happened to be my favourite. 
With the cold weather settling in I am constantly wanting hot, comfort food and on Saturday at work I had the biggest urge to make poutine. I was so excited. I had never made my own vegan gravy from scratch but I thought it shouldn't be that hard. So after work I went out to get some groceries for the amazing concoction, along with some other things we needed at home. 

I told my husband what I was planning on making and he was all in. We also decided on making our own fries, we have our mandolin that makes them so why not. They taste so much better when you do, and if I am going to eat poutine I might as well go all out. 
Devon sliced up the potatoes while I started making my gravy. It was super simple and didn't take that long, unlike the fries. We decided to coat them in vegetable oil (which I never use unless we are doing fries) and threw them in the oven for 40 mins turning them every 15 mins or so.

After the fries were done, I piled the ingredients together making sure I put the Daiya cheese in the middle of the hot fries and the hot gravy. But I then thought I would just throw my bowl in the oven for 5 mins to get the cheese to fully melt. 
This was heaven, I haven't had poutine in over a year! However, I am a little scared because now I can eat it when ever I want! 
This is the W-Sauce I used.
You can find it at Nutters!

Gravy
1 medium Onion, diced
1 cup of Mushrooms, diced
1 tsp of Coconut Oil
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1/4 cup of gluten free Flour, I used Quinoa Flour
1 cup of Vegan Broth
2 tsp of Soy Sauce, Vegan Gluten Free 
1 tsp of Worcheshire Sauce, Vegan Gluten Free

In a small sauce pan saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms in oil until soft. Gradually alternate adding flour and broth to the onions and mushrooms until there are no clumps. Add the soy sauce and the worcheshire and continue to cook for another 5 mins. If the gravy is too thick then add more broth/water until you get your desired consistency. I like my gravy to have a smooth texture so I blended mine in my Magic Bullet until smooth. However, if you like the chunky texture then exnay the blender.


No comments:

Post a Comment