Search This Blog

Friday, October 5, 2012

Spring Fresh Rolls with Vegan Peanut Sauce :)

My Go-To Meal #1

When I came home this morning from my first job at the gym, I was wondering what to make for my breakfast/lunch. You see, I work at a gym from 6am-9am and then go to my other job at Conexus Credit Union from 10:45am-2:45pm. So I don’t get to eat my meals at what you would call 'normal times'. I always start my day off with three or four pieces of fruit at the gym after my workout. Then I come home and prepare my breakfast/lunch. And today, like most days, I make my awesome spring rolls! There was a time in September that I was eating these 4 days a week for lunch, that’s how much I love them. I have two other Go To Meals hence why this one is titled #1, numbers 2 and 3 will be coming soon!






Ingredients

Spring Rolls
1 pkg of 12' Rice Papers
1 pkg of Field Greens Mix
1 small zucchini
1 medium carrot
½ of a cucumber
½ cup of cilantro

Peanut Sauce
2 tbsp of Peanut Butter
1 tbsp of Hoisin
1 clove of Garlic
1 Lime, juiced

This recipe makes about 6 large spring rolls, if you had smaller sized rice papers this could make about 12-15. 

So I start out with my super amazing vegetable mandolin that I picked up at Costco for $30. Probably one of the best buys I ever made and not that expensive! First thing I do is julienne my carrots, cucumber and zucchini, throw them in a bowl and mix them together. Next I chop up the cilantro and wash my greens if needed. I listed field greens on the ingredients, but you can use any leafy greens you like. Such as spinach, kale, romaine, chard, ect. Today I used field green mix I picked up from Superstore and added in some Red Chard I had in my fridge.



Also, if you want to add different vegetables, go ahead! I have added yellow pepper, cabbage, avocado, and cooked beets to mine. I just find I always have cucumber, zucchini and carrots on hand, so those end up being my base.


Then I soak my rice paper in water for 1-2 minutes(depending how hot the water is), just until its pliable and easy to roll, and add my ingredients onto the center. I do my layers like this: Cilantro, greens, then veggie mix. I find the veggie mix weighs down the lettuce and makes it easier to roll. Finally roll it up like a burrito and you got yourself a super fresh spring roll.


The Sauce.
This is my all time favourite sauce, I could (and sometimes do, shhh) eat it by the spoon full. Its super easy to make and the ingredients are pretty basic.

All you have to do is: take the four ingredients, place them in a bowl and mix them together. DONE!


Now you can enjoy your spring rolls with peanut sauce! 



Thanks for reading! 


xoxo -N







1 comment:

  1. Keep posting this yummy food, I need to use you as my inspiration!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete